News & Events
Earth Day Takes Place on April 22, 2017
April 12, 2017
Consider these 10 simple changes you can implement in your practice that will make a positive impact on the environment:
- Power down equipment (computers, printers, monitors, television, fans, window A/C units) at night for a 25% to 50% reduction in energy use.
- Paper use — go paperless where you can! Use electronic communication rather than mail. Choose 100% postconsumer recycled paper.
- Wash and re-sterilize larger-sized plastic syringes for multiple use.
- Water use — choose low-flow toilets or use a toilet dam. Utilize refillable drinking water bottles or filtered water — no throwaways!
- Post “No Idling” signs in your parking area.
- Put pressure on veterinary industry representatives for improvements in environmentally friendly packaging and energy efficient medical equipment. Use suppliers who take back packaging/totes for reuse.
- Lights — turn them off! Use motion detectors and/or timers. Leave minimal lighting on at night for security purposes. Earth Day should happen every day!
- Get rid of incandescent bulbs — switch to CFL or LED.
- RECYCLE, RECYCLE, RECYCLE!
- Use “green” products at every opportunity. Minimize the use of high phosphate products such as bleach.
Visit the Practice & Economics section of CVMA’s website to access the Green Veterinary Practice initiative.
BACK TO NEWS & EVENTS LISTING