News & Events
Emergency Preparedness Week - May 7 to 13, 2017
May 4, 2017
Emergency Preparedness Week is a national awareness campaign that encourages Canadians to become better prepared to face a range of emergencies. In such times, being prepared to care for animals is also needed.
Here are some useful emergency preparedness tips for animal emergencies:
- Make sure all your pets are properly identified (microchipped, wearing a collar with the animal's name, your contact information and your veterinarian's contact information) to assist rescuers in reuniting you with your pet.
- Stock up with pet food and water for at least 3 to 7 days (include a can opener for wet food)
- Store up to 30 days of any pet medication that is required
- Make sure you have the following items available for your pet:
- Unbreakable bowls for pet food and water
- Extra well fitting collars, harness or leash
- A portable pet carrier
- Familiar chew toys - pets under stress will welcome a familiar item
- Pet first aid kit
- Pet documents in a sealed water proof bag including a copy of license, vaccinations, photos and medical records
BACK TO NEWS & EVENTS LISTING