News, Events & COVID-19 RESOURCES
Happy Animal Health Week! Veterinary Teams Across Canada Unite to Promote Optimal Nutrition for Optimal Health!
October 1, 2019
This month, we celebrate Animal Health Week from October 6 to 12, 2019. The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) is highlighting the importance of nutrition through its campaign slogan, “Optimal Nutrition for Optimal Health: Talk to Your Veterinary Team about Your Animal’s Dietary Needs.”
This year’s theme is an opportunity to remind animal owners about the importance of seeking professional veterinary advice regarding what and how much they feed their animals based on species, age, and overall health. Eating a balanced diet is as important for our pets, livestock, and other animals as it is for us. Proper nutrition can help set the stage for our animals to live healthy lives.
During this Animal Health Week, the CVMA is emphasizing that:
- Optimal nutrition is central to optimal health and well-being.
- Diets must be appropriate for species, breed, age, and health status of an animal.
- Portion control is of utmost importance — obesity is a leading cause of illness and premature death in overfed animals.
- All diets, prepared commercially or at home, must be formulated with appropriate balances of essential nutrients as required by your animal.
- Speak to your veterinary team for advice on types and amounts of food your animal needs.
The CVMA has promoted Animal Health Week for over 30 years. The Association invites you to share your celebrations on Facebook, Twitter (in English and French), and Instagram using the hashtag #AnimalHealthWeek. Please also tag us in your social media posts to be featured in our social media promotions.
Generous support of the 2019 Animal Health Week campaign is provided by Principal Sponsor, Royal Canin, and Program Sponsors, iFinance Canada (Petcard), and The Personal Home and Auto Insurance.
The CVMA would not be able to carry out the important educational campaign that Animal Health Week is without the generous support of our sponsors and the dedication of veterinary teams throughout the country. Thank you.
During this week-long campaign many veterinary clinics and hospitals host open houses, plan dog washes, organize pet poetry or photo contests, and clinic tours. Some veterinarians visit school children or appear on television to talk about animal health care.
BACK TO NEWS & EVENTS LISTING