News & Events
Notice of Intent: Repeal and Replace of the Feeds Regulations
August 1, 2019
This Notice of Intent is to inform stakeholders that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) intends to propose regulatory changes to the Feeds Regulations, 1983. The proposed regulatory changes would repeal and replace the Feeds Regulations, 1983 and would provide more clarity, flexibility and transparency to affected regulated parties.
Drivers for change
The Feed Regulations, 1983 have become outdated. Feed and livestock production sectors in Canada and abroad have evolved considerably since 1983, operating in an environment influenced by several changing factors such as:
- nutritional awareness,
- feed manufacturing and distribution,
- globalization of trade,
- recognition that feed is an integral component that underpins food production,
- heightened consumer awareness of food safety, and
- emergence of new pathogens and disease agents (e.g., bovine spongiform encephalopathy).
Canada's principal feed industry association, the Animal Nutrition Association of Canada, signalled a need for regulatory change some time ago.
In addition, a number of other domestic and international drivers (e.g., Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR), Codex Alimentarius' Code of Practice on Good Animal Feeding and United States (U.S.) Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)) have increased the need for a comprehensive review of the current regulatory framework.
CFIA is proposing to modernize the Feeds Regulations, 1983 in order to:
- safeguard feeds and the food production continuum
- reduce overlap and redundancy in regulatory requirements
- increase regulatory responsiveness to industry changes
- address regulatory gaps, weaknesses and inconsistencies
- align Canadian feed requirements with those of our trading partners (e.g., United States and European Union)
Find more informaiton here.
If you wish to provide any comments or have questions related to this Notice, please submit them to:
National Manager – Feed Program Coordination and Outreach Section
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
59 Camelot Drive
Ottawa ON K1A 0Y9
BACK TO NEWS & EVENTS LISTING