News & Events
Update - Bill C-246 "Modernizing Animals Protection Act"
May 11, 2016
The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association’s (CVMA) Animal Welfare Committee has formed a working group to explore and address issues arising from the review of Bill C-246, the Modernizing Animals Protection Act. Acting on advice from the working group, the CVMA has recently sent a letter expressing support for the Bill to each Member of Parliament.
Bill C-246, a Private Member’s Bill, proposes to amend the Criminal Code, the Fisheries Act, the Textile Labelling Act, the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act and the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (animal protection). The bill seeks to:
- Ban the importing and sale of cat and dog fur in Canada.
- Require that all fur in Canada is properly labelled so consumers know what they are purchasing.
- End to the importing of shark fins not attached to the rest of the shark carcass, and make shark finning (cutting off its fins and throwing the rest of the shark into the sea) illegal.
- Strengthen animal protection laws, updating the Criminal Code to make it illegal to "brutally or viciously" kill an animal regardless of whether it dies immediately.
- Make profiting from animal fighting illegal.
The House of Commons debated this Bill on May 9, 2016. Another two hours of debate will likely be allocated in September, where a vote will be required to move it to Committee hearings. The CVMA hopes its letter to Members will aid in the passage of the Bill through the second reading, so our voice can be heard at the resulting Committee hearings.
In the meantime, the CVMA will embark upon a number of related activities in support of Bill C-246 including consulting legal advice from a lawyer regarding potential unintended consequences that might arise from the proposed legislation, communicating with Cabinet Ministers, and gathering feedback from species-specific veterinary groups and laboratory animal veterinarians.
Visit here if you wish to contact your local MP directly to support Bill C-246 or call 1-800-622-6232 to find his or her contact information. The postage of letters to your MP’s Parliament Hill office is free.
BACK TO NEWS & EVENTS LISTING