Animal Health Week 2017
ANIMAL HEALTH WEEK – OCTOBER 1 TO 7, 2017
Each year through Animal Health Week, the veterinary community draws attention to an important health-related message.
ANIMAL HEALTH WEEK
We have been celebrating Animal Health Week for more than 30 years and this year we want to emphasize the importance of Animal Welfare. This year’s theme highlights the five basic freedoms animals require to survive and thrive. These Five Freedoms include: adequate shelter, proper nutrition, appropriate veterinary care, proper socialization, and the ability to exhibit normal behaviours. This year’s theme, Animal Welfare: Safeguarding the Five Animal Freedoms, provides us with an opportunity to remind animal owners of the fundamental elements they are required to provide the animal in their care to ensure them healthy and happy lives.
We’re reminding animal owners they can protect the Five Animal Freedoms by:
- Providing proper nutrition
- Freedom from hunger and thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Ensuring proper socialization
- Freedom to spend time with or away from members of their species as appropriate.
- Providing adequate shelter
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Providing appropriate veterinary care
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Allowing animals to exhibit normal behaviour
- Freedom to express normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and tools/accessories and not punishing animals for carrying out undesired behaviours.
Find more information on the OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health) website.
Generous support of the 2017 Animal Health Week campaign is provided by:
Principal Plus Sponsor
In Partnership With