CVMA Committee Vacancy: Animal Welfare Committee (AWC)
September 18, 2023
The CVMA is looking for members who are interested in filling one vacancy on its Animal Welfare Committee (AWC) starting Jan 1, 2024.
The Animal Welfare Committee is composed of a dynamic group of voting and ex-officio members that represent a wide range of professional practice and locations across the country to promote broad inclusion of expertise and opinion. The Committee produces animal welfare related positions, participates in various national and international working groups and contributes to various initiatives related to animal welfare through the One Health lens.
To advocate for and to promote animal welfare from the national veterinary perspective to animal related industries, government and public stakeholders; to develop relevant evidence-based positions and initiatives focused on animal welfare; to stay apprised of and contribute to CVMA responses to national and international animal welfare issues.
Skills and Expertise
The ideal candidate must be a CVMA member and is:
- a licenced veterinarian
- passionate about the veterinary role in animal welfare across all species irrespective of practice focus
- willing to contribute to ongoing welfare related document development, review and revision and to work as part of a team in related research, writing and priority setting for the Committee.
- interested in participating in various external working groups/committees related to animal welfare
- able to attend and actively participate in 3 full committee meetings and one in person meetings per year.
- available for ad hoc working group meetings
- willing to review and respond to correspondence from the Committee
Time Commitment / Working Relationship / Term of Office
The time commitment to serve on the AWC includes:
- One annual committee meeting – usually held in Ottawa, over two days in the spring.
- Three virtual meetings per year
- Working group virtual meetings: as often as required
CVMA staff liaison
Is the Manager, Animal Welfare Committee, as delegated by the Chief Executive Director, facilitates the ongoing operations of the Animal Welfare Committee.
Appointments are made annually for a one-year term (renewable) for up to 6 consecutive terms.
Orientation: new members will be provided an orientation package and a virtual orientation session for onboarding.
Want to Get Involved?
Those who are interested and wish to let their name stand for nomination are invited to submit a Join a CVMA Committee Form here along with a short biography indicating your professional history and animal welfare related interest by Oct 25, 2023 to Mrs. Dima Sabraoui at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest or to inquire about this role.
For more information, you can also contact Dr. Michelle Groleau, Manager, CVMA AWC, by email at email@example.com.